January is Glaucoma Consciousness Month, however half of individuals with glaucoma don’t know they’ve it. Get a wholesome begin this yr by studying about glaucoma and taking steps to scale back your danger of imaginative and prescient loss!
Know the Details
- Glaucoma is a bunch of ailments that injury the attention’s optic nerve and can lead to imaginative and prescient loss and even blindness.
- About three million People have glaucoma. It’s the 2nd main reason behind blindness worldwide.
- Open-angle glaucoma, the most typical kind, ends in elevated eye strain. There are sometimes no early signs, which is why 50% of individuals with glaucoma don’t know they’ve the illness.
- There isn’t any treatment (but) for glaucoma, but when it’s caught early, you possibly can protect your imaginative and prescient and stop imaginative and prescient loss. Taking motion to protect your imaginative and prescient well being is essential.
Know Your Danger
Anybody can get glaucoma, however sure teams are at greater danger. These teams embrace African People over age 40, all individuals over age 60, individuals with a household historical past of glaucoma, and individuals who have diabetes . African People are 6 to eight occasions extra prone to get glaucoma than whites. Individuals with diabetes are 2 occasions extra prone to get glaucoma than individuals with out diabetes.
Wholesome habits will enable you to keep away from imaginative and prescient loss from glaucoma.
There are various steps you possibly can take to assist shield your eyes and decrease your danger of imaginative and prescient loss from glaucoma.
- If you’re in a high-risk group, get a complete dilated eye examination to catch glaucoma early and begin remedy. Prescription eye drops can cease glaucoma from progressing. Your eye care specialist will suggest how usually to return for follow-up exams. Medicare covers a glaucoma take a look at every year for individuals in high-risk teams.
- Even if you’re not in a high-risk group, getting a complete dilated eye examination by the age of 40 can assist catch glaucoma and different eye ailments early.
- Open-angle glaucoma doesn’t have signs and is hereditary, so discuss to your loved ones members about their imaginative and prescient well being to assist shield your eyes—and theirs.
- Sustaining a wholesome weight, controlling your blood strain, being bodily energetic, and avoiding smoking will enable you to keep away from imaginative and prescient loss from glaucoma. These wholesome behaviors can even assist stop sort 2 diabetes and different power circumstances.
You and your eye care specialist are a workforce. Inform them about any uncomfortable side effects of remedy.
Handle and Deal with
Imaginative and prescient loss from glaucoma normally impacts peripheral imaginative and prescient (what you possibly can see on the aspect of your head when wanting forward) first. Later, it’ll have an effect on your central imaginative and prescient, which is required for seeing objects clearly and for frequent each day duties like studying and driving.
Glaucoma is handled with eye drops, oral medication, or surgical procedure (or a mix of remedies) to scale back strain within the eye and stop everlasting imaginative and prescient loss. Take medication as prescribed, and inform your eye care specialist about any uncomfortable side effects. You and your physician are a workforce. If laser or surgical procedures are really useful to scale back the strain in your eye, be sure that to schedule common follow-up visits to proceed to watch eye strain.
Some individuals with glaucoma have low imaginative and prescient, which suggests they’ve a tough time doing routine actions even with the assistance of glasses or contacts. See the “Low imaginative and prescient sources for glaucoma” hyperlink under for extra data.
This yr, take steps in the direction of defending your eyes and the imaginative and prescient well being of your family members by studying about glaucoma and different eye ailments. Know the information, know the dangers, and take motion!