BSC Young Boys, also known as YB, is a Swiss professional football club based in Bern, Switzerland. Young Boys are one of the most successful clubs not only in Switzerland but also in Europe.
The Swiss club has won sixteen Swiss league championships and eight Swiss Cups. Today Young Boys will face RB Leipzig at his home ground Wankdorf Stadium, Switzerland. Before you watch the match, you should know a few fun facts about Young Boys.
11 Fun Facts About BSC Young Boys:
- Young Boys Football Club is one of the oldest clubs in Europe, was founded in 1898 as Berner Sport Club Young Boys.
- Young Boy’s home ground is Wankdorf Stadium, which is the biggest football ground in Switzerland with a capacity of 31,000 visitors.
- The club has the nickname ‘Die Eisgenossen’ or ‘The Confederates’. The nickname reflects the connection and unity between its players and supporters.
- One of the Oldest and most fierce rivalries in European football is between BSC Young Boys and FC Basel. Young Boys has won 28 games, lost 30 games and 24 games ended in a draw.
- BSC Young Boys’ home kit is iconic yellow and black. The color represents the strength, determination, and resilience of the team on and off the field.
- Young Boys Club has a motto of “Mehr als ein Verein” which means More than a Club. The club is often described as the city’s pride and spirit. The motto also reflects the strong connection between the players, management, and supporters.
- Young Boys has a rich history in European football. They have qualified for the Champions League multiple times. You might be surprised to know that the club reached the semi-finals of the European Cup in the 1958–59 season.
- The biggest win of BSC Young Boys came in the 1943-44 season when they beat FC La Chaux-de-Fonds by an 11-1 margin.
- The heaviest defeats of Young Boys were 0-8 against Wisla Kraków (1972-73) and FC Zürich (1963-64). They also lost by 1-8 margins against Rapid Vienna (1969-70) and FC Basel 1893 (1946-47).
- The most expensive sale by Young Boys is Fabian Rieder when he left for Stade Rennais at a cost of €15M.
- The biggest arrival to Young Boys is Kasim Adams. Kasim Adams transferred from Mallorca to Young Boys at a fee of €4.5M, which is a record signing for the club.